Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Stange man in a strange land...

So, it's been a while since I updated so hang with me...

There hasn't been a lot of notable things since my last post since I have been drowning in work in preparation for the oodles of conferences coming to the university.

After a week of hard work, my friend Nick (one of the new NODA interns) and I decided to take in a Yankees game. If you know anything about NYC, New Yankee Stadium is located in the Bronx, which is North of Manhattan. The train that we took in goes the the World Trade Center, which is in the Southern part of Manhattan. So we already know it's going to take a while to get to the stadium, but we are ready for the adventure. So, the initial PATH train was just bursting with tourists who love to disclose themselves as such. I, of course, am able to blend in as a New Yorker and carry myself with dignity.

Once we get on the island is where the adventure begins. We get on one train that will take us to Columbus Circle so we can transfer onto the train that will take us to the Bronx. While we are on the first train, there is a delightful young lady yelling at her child about his behavior loud enough for the whole train to hear. The mother was attempting to embarrass this kid and was clearly succeeding, because that kid was trying to tell his mother to calm herself down. I tried not to appear to be watching/listening, but everyone on the train was watching the soap opera unfold in front of our eyes.

When we got to the circle, we transferred trains. We found that the train that we had been waiting for wasn't running, but the other train that ran would take us to where we need to go. So we finally get on the train to take us to the stadium and find that there is a man that is talking very loudly and deciding to spread his hobo-logic. At first, we thought that he was just a crazy man/regular New Yorker, but after deciphering his babble, I realize that he is actually doing a stand up routine to each subway car for tips. The first thing I hear him say is, "everybody better get out or I'll pull these shoes off... then this place will clear out quick!" Then he moved on to explaining that he had found all of his clothes in parks... in which I had to congratulate him for his noble effort of finding clothes! After realizing what he was doing, I sneakily started to record him with my phone (if you run into me, I can show you!) in order to document the gold that was happening before me.

So after we left the homeless Jerry Seinfeld's house (the D train), we emerged from the train station and could immediately see the New Yankee Stadium. It was an amazing sight to see for any sports fan and even though I'm not a Yankee fan, I still wanted to gain this experience. We make our way to our seats, which were up in the nose bleeds of course, but they still gave us a great view of the enormous stadium (and the projects in the Bronx)! Nick is originally from Colorado and is an avid Rockies fan and was one of the ten within attendance that day. I couldn't help but actually want the Yankees to play well in order to see the fans go crazy, which they did for the three Yankee home runs that we saw! It was super intense and a great experience that I will treasure for years to come.

After the game, we had to wait a while to avoid the crowded train that everyone is taking. I got a sweet Babe Ruth jersey-shirt thing and then we decided we are going to head back home with less trains taken then we did on the way there. On the ride home, we had to transfer trains once again at Columbus Circle and right as I'm about to get onto the previously crowded train, I see someone that looks strikingly familiar. I realize it's my first RA Sara from KU! I was able to get her attention and quickly catch up before her and I have to part our separate ways. I couldn't believe how small the world was at that exact moment! The rest of our trip home was uneventful and I was thankful for that!

The next day, I had to help the outgoing Associate Dean within the housing office at RUN move to NC. He had asked if I could drive his car/dog down to Greensboro, where he is moving and working for UNC-Greensboro. Honestly, not a lot happened along the trip that was notable... until I got to the South, of course! Once we got into Virginia, we had the pleasure of driving through the beautiful mountains and saw a mountain lightning storm happen (baller!)... Right before we got into NC, we decided to stop and get some food. I immediately got the familiar sights and sounds of the South in the local Lynchburg McDonalds. First, there was a Bojangles (I could hear Brice salivating). Second, there were some killer Southern accents all around me. Third, the heat was wet and painful to breathe. Lastly, there was definitely a 19 year old that had a 4 year old child... Now I've grown to love the South, but I also know that it's got some strange fellers in them there parts... Sorry Southerners, you just have to admit that it's a fact!

We made it to NC without any problems and its strange to be back so soon, but today I'm leaving to go back to the fine town of Newark! I can't wait to come back down here in about 4 weeks and see my fellow tiger friends... I hope all of your journeys are as eventful as mine! This weekend Mr. Packet (that's right) is visiting. Blog worthy events will happen... I assure you, fun will be had! Keep me posted with your lives and keep on keeping on!

2 comments:

  1. dude, I've been to Lynchburg. Pretty southern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the way Billy Crystalz is me, Jason. I changed my name to be more clear

    ReplyDelete